City of Dillingham Comprehensive Plan Update + Waterfront Study
Project Date: 2009–2010
Project Manager: Thea Agnew Bemben
Client: City of Dillingham
Location: Dillingham, Alaska
Dillingham Comprehensive Plan Update
and Waterfront Plan NOTEBOOK and Draft Plan are available for review.
The comprehensive plan is the community's statement of what it wants to be like in the future. It provides a framework for orderly development and guidance for the City Council in its decisions. We are hoping to hear from a broad spectrum of people including elders, youth, business owners, employers, property owners, civic leaders and representatives from community and regional organizations. We hope you will invite your friends, neighbors and relatives to get involved.
Since 1963, the City of Dillingham, Alaska, has engaged in five major planning efforts to improve the community by focusing on the issues of waterfront development, land use, facilities, energy and transportation. The City completed a Comprehensive Plan in 1998 and it was partly updated in 2006. Now, Agnew::Beck, Land Design North and PND Engineers are working with the City of Dillingham to complete a full update of the existing Comprehensive Plan. Specific elements include:
- Land Use (recommendation for updates to city land use and subdivision ordinances and a revised land use map)
- 5 to 10-Year Waterfront Plan (including concept diagram and drawings)
- Community Wellness and Culture
- Public Services and Facilities
- Economic Development
- Implementation of the plan
- Comprehensive Plan: Read the City Council Review Draft Comprehensive Plan listed above.
- Comment: Offer your ideas about issues covered in the plan. Comments on the draft pan will be accepted through Friday, July 30.
- NOTEBOOK: Read the graphic depictions of planning options.
- Facebook: Become a "fan" to receive updates and view photos.
There are many ways to be involved with the planning process:
- Interviews and focus groups with stakeholders
- Planning Team meetings – Planning Team Members will represent a wide array of community interests and backgrounds. All community residents are welcome to attend these meetings.
- Work Groups – Community residents will form work groups on each plan element: Land Use and Transportation, Waterfront, Energy and Economic Development, Community Wellness and Public Facilities
- Two Community Workshops
- Project Website that includes access to project information, resource data, schedules, workshop dates and results, and draft documents.
- Events will be publicized through local media including KDLG and the Bristol Bay Times.
Community Workshop Two
Wednesday, May 19th, 5-9 p.m.
at Dillingham Elementary School
Open House: 5-6 p.m.
Community Workshop: 6-9 p.m.
Review the draft plan and offer feedback about the work that's been done so far.
- Flyer: E-mail to a friend, print and post it in your neighborhood.
Work Group Meeting #1: Wednesday, Feb. 17
Community Wellness and Public Facilities + Services
3-5 p.m. at SAFE
Energy and Economic Development
5-7 p.m. at Vocational-Technical Bristol Bay Campus
Land Use, Housing and Transportation
7-9 p.m. at Vocational-Technical Bristol Bay Campus
Community Workshop One
Tuesday, Jan. 19th, 5-9 p.m. at the Dillingham City Hall
Open House: 5-6 p.m.
Workshop: 6-9 p.m.
Art Contest: Submit a drawing of your ideal future Dillingham.
Work Group Meetings
Work Group Packet served as the basis for discussions.
E-mail Shelly or call 222.5424 to join.
Land Use and Transportation
- Land Use, Housing and Transportation
- Energy and Economic Development
- Community Wellness and Public Facilities
Focus Groups and Interviews
Monday-Tuesday, Nov. 2-3, 2009 at the Dillingham Bingo Hall
These focus group discussions helped people understand issues and priorities of each component of the plan. Participants heard a summary of previous interviews, a summary of the 2006 Comp Plan Update and how it ties into this update. Thank you to those scheduled one-on-one interviews.
Background Information + Publications
Contact Shelly Wade or Thea Agnew Bemben at Agnew::Beck, 907.222.5424.